Saturday, October 17, 2009

Spring Garden Quilt

I would like to share with you a quilt made by Nicole which I have recently finished quilting.  Nicole's quilt is made from nine-patches in greens and pinks, joined together into larger blocks (does that make it a 36 patch?) and alternated with blocks in an ivory fabric.  The quilt also has a large border in the same ivory fabric.  The large, open spaces cried out for intricate quilting to me.  As the quilt is quite large, we decided on an all-over design called "Oma's Garden" by Sophie Collier.  This pattern is quite intricate and has gorgeous feathers, flowers, hearts and leaves.  I find it a great alternative to the more expensive option of custom quilting.

Here is a photo of the whole quilt - it was quite difficult to fit the whole quilt into the frame.



The following close-up of the quilt shows the amount of detail in this quilting design.  The quilting has added a lot of detail to the plain areas and yet has not dominated the pieced parts of the quilt.  This pattern is certainly one of my favourites although it does need to be quilted on the right quilt.



I hope you have enjoyed Nicole's quilt - enjoy your weekend and happy quilting.

10 comments:

  1. A lot of work has gone into this quilt Karen! Fantastic x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its hard to know what to do sometimes but you have done an awesome job!! Great Work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I definitely find those designs are a great alternative to custom quilting. I always like to help my customers fit their budget and designs like this are such a great enhancement to the quilt. A job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that does make it a 36 patch :). Gorgeous quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed, the quilting compliments the top perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is a beautiful quilt. Your quilting makes it a stunning quilt. Do you come up with your own quilt patterns? They are so different, and fresh and wonderful xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great Karen. Your quilting really compliments the top. It looks a lot of work though! I love the colours in Nicole's piecing.
    Abbe

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! That quilting is amazing! I love coming to your blog and looking at all your quilting goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job Karen. I'd love to see some more of your work.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - they will appear shortly.