Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Grandmother's Flower Garden Bushfire Quilt

The bushfires in Victoria of last Summer, and in particular, February 7th caused many people to lose their lives, their homes and their livelihoods.  The recovery process is still in the early stages, with many people only just starting to rebuild their homes or even deciding on whether or not to rebuild.

In an attempt to provide comfort, the quilting community throughout Australia have made literally thousands of quilts for the bushfire victims.  The quilt I am featuring today is one such quilt which, in a small way, it is hoped will give some comfort to the person receiving it.

This Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt was made by my customers Lesley and Jan and other members of their patchwork and sewing group.  Their patchwork group had been meeting regularly for years and one of their very own members lost her home during the bushfires - this quilt has been made for her.  The quilt has been entirely hand pieced over the last six months.  It is made from the most beautiful civil war reproduction fabrics.






Many of the hexagons have been carefully fussy cut, resulting in the most spectacular blocks - these are some of my favourites.





I have quilted this quilt with an all-over feather design by Timeless Quilting Designs called Feathered Curls.  The quilting has added great detail to the borders of the quilt without taking away from the piecing in the body of the quilt.



I hope the quilt will provide some comfort to the person receiving it, I know a lot of love has gone into the making of it. 

13 comments:

  1. Karen, this is an awesome quilt and you have done a great job, I am sure the person receiving this quilt will love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is stunning. What a beautiful and thoughtful gift for someone who has lost her treasured possessions. A lot of things can be replaced, but it's things like this that I would miss the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous quilt! I am working on a GFG and can't wait for it to be complete. But it will be a while. The quilting you did really enhances the quilt. What a wonderful gift for those who suffered the bushfires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the flowers in the garden float on the background fabric. The quilting is just perfect -- it is very pretty and interesting to look at, but still lets the flower shine. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never even thought to fussy cut my GFG - that is so pretty! I was interested in seeing it machine quilted - several have commented that I should hand quilt a hand pieced quilt - but I really would rather not - I think this one turned out beautiful machine quilted, yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful and thoughtful gift for a fellow quilter who has lost so much. I am sure this quilt will provide comfort. It is so beautifully made!

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a truly beautiful quilt and I love the way the hexagons have been fussy cut. What a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovey quilt Karen, what a beautiful sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, as you know I love hexagons! What a lovely quilt! The fussy cutting is so impressive and adds such a punch to the quilt. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post and gorgeous quilt. Your feathers are perfect xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a gift of love, very generous and the quilting on it is amazing.
    Love reading posts like this
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it a a special quality of quilters to be so giving? I never met an unfriendly quilter.
    The fabrics are pretty and your quilting is great.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - they will appear shortly.